After the disappointment that was Half Nelson, I moved onto Senna which turned out to be an incredible surprise. Hear me out when I said surprise, I had heard all the incredible buzz about it calling it the best documentary this year. Yet still I was concerned that my lack of interest in Formula 1 would interfere with my enjoyment of it. I was wrong. Whether you have an interest in the sport or not, this is no exclusive documentary. Because at the heart of it, this is a character portrait of Ayrton Senna, and he is what will keep you hooked to this film. To see a man so driven and focused on his one goal in life is fascinating, and he himself becomes more interesting throughout the film as his increased success and popularity sees him truly come out of his shell.
I also think it would be more than unfair to mention the incredible work and love obviously put into this film, the amount of archive footage that was found and put together so beautifully is what makes this work above other documentaries and what makes it stand out in the general term of cinema. Not once was there a piece of narration or boring talking head interview to pull you out of the experience, and this truly made you feel like you were seeing his life from a third person perspective. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this film is just how much of an emotional impact the end provides, even though you knew it was coming right from the beginning. This is film crafting at some of it's finest, and the love put into making this only makes it a further joy to watch. Simply put, this is something you should not miss no matter your interest on the background subject.
9/10

No comments:
Post a Comment