Monday, 2 January 2012

Film #2 - Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (2011)


After starting with the 2009 take on Sherlock Holmes, what better way to continue than with it's recently released sequel? While I know some may question why I would go to see this not much longer than 12 hours after I had rewatched and on the whole reslated the first one, I must admit that I only rewatched the first one because I already had plans set to see the sequel with friends. And might I say, what a sequel. This is how more blockbusters should follow themselves up, rather than trying to edge itself out to new risky ground it simply focused in on what the first did best. They've ramped up the action, the stakes and even the bromance between Holmes and Watson. I was more than relieved to see that the filmmakers had mainly admitted that they couldn't do the cold and calculated mystery solving side of Sherlock even half as well as Steven Moffat recently has for the BBC leaving us with a far more action orientated and impressive setpiece boasting piece of cinema. Oh, and by far the greatest improvement on the first one? The new cast addition of Jared Harris as Sherlock's infamous rival Moriarty. Managing to equally display menacing and genius at the same time, the cold calm Harris always managed to hold made him perhaps the only bit of casting I would dare compare to the BBC's series opposite. I can only urge those who like me, felt more than a little disappointed in the first attempt to give this Hollywood adaptation one more shot.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment