So, due to lack of time I'm having to quickly roundup the last seven films I watched. I plan to go back and flesh out all of these reviews at some point soon, this weekend even if life were to go the same way as dreams do.
It's business time:
Film #26 - Moon (2009)
Incredibly good debut from Bowie's son, minimalist sci-fi at it's best with little more than two characters acted to near on perfection by Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey. If you haven't seen this yet, then we should probably stop talking.
9/10
Film #27 - Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Another solid comic book movie from Marvel, Chris Evans manages to pull off the patriotic hero as likable and modest while Hugo Weaving turns in a typically comic book over theatrical performance as the slightly red in the face Nazi with a plan to rule the world. One of the better Avengers build up movies, if not a little bit long.
7/10
Film #28 - Margin Call (2012)
An enjoyable film with consistently decent performances throughout and an interesting backdrop, let down by most scenes feeling overplayed and some lines just giving you the feel that the writers still think making topical references and obvious stabs every five seconds is a cool thing to do. It's not. Saved by the acting wonder that is Kevin Spacey, delivering the only authentic and grounded character to be found.
7/10
Film #29 - The Artist (2012)
Very charming and sweet film with some fine camerawork and a wonderful soundtrack. The film itself, once you get past the retro gimmick of it being silent and in black and white doesn't really have much too it while I felt that the performances were actually quite lacking. When a film goes silent, and facial expressions are all the actors have to rely on, I'm afraid the dog wins. Bonus point earned for use of Uggie The Dog.
8/10
Film #30 - Burn After Reading (2008)
Starts off strongly but soon falls into the chaos of mediocrity, the film initially showed a lot of promise with a strong cast and the Coen Brothers controlling it all from behind the cameras. However, the humour never really did anything for me and I was never really sure if I was meant to care about any of them. While not as irritating as his performance in 'Of Mice and Men', still looking for a reason to like John Malkovich.
6/10
Film #31 - Observe And Report (2009)
Seth Rogen leads a comedy about a security guard of a shopping mall trying to prove himself and get the girl of his dreams. The humour fell flat on me on near on all occasions, the cast had no chemistry and the film clinged desperately to genre cliches throughout. Seth Rogen is very enjoyable when given a supporting role, but please don't give him the spotlight as he just can't carry a movie.
4/10
Film #32 - Ghost Rider (2007)
This film is so bad, this film is just so painfully bad. It's painful because I know somewhere deep down Nicholas Cage is quite a decent actor, but once again he's given a terrible role and he attempts an absolutely dreadful accent. The script was shite, the action scenes were poorly done and the characters were just unlikable. Not to mention I sat through the overindulgent director's cut, making an already overly long bad film even longer. How did a sequel to this get the green light?
2/10
No comments:
Post a Comment